Removing Titlebar in X windows (gnome window manager)

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Aug 7 15:37:43 PDT 2008

Ash wrote:

> Hello,I am currently using QT to develop an application and I wish
> the titlebar of my window to be removed. Using QT's window flags to
> send the hint to the window manager to remove title bar does not seem
> to work in Gnome. (In KDE it does). The Qt forum told me theres no way
> in QT to get around that, so i wanted to know if you guys at Xorg
> have a low level api call to remove the titlebar of a window given X
> handle window id.

You can provide hints to the WM as to how to decorate the window, but
the WM isn't bound to honour them.

Alternatively, you can set the override_redirect flag on a window, but
that prevents the WM from interacting with the window at all (it's
normally only used for menus and tooltips), e.g. you may not be able
to bring the window to the front if it gets obscured.

Also, I suspect that you need to set the override_redirect flag when
the window is created (or at least before it is mapped). Otherwise,
the WM will decorate the window, and it will probably stay decorated
if you set the override_redirect flag later.