Xorg Version numbers

Fri Aug 8 14:36:47 PDT 2008

fossks at cox.net wrote:
> I apologize for asking such as basic question but could someone clarify the version numbering system used within Xorg.
>
> I've been the Xorg website where it states that 7.3 is the current version.  I've ran across a number of sites where they are using numbers now like 1.4.2, 1.4.0.90, 1.3, etc.   It doesn't seem to match.

7.3 is the current version of the X Window System, aka X11R7.3.

One of the components of the X11R7.3 release is the xserver 1.4
package, which includes the Xorg server.

Other components of the 7.3 release of the window system include
libraries like libX11 & libXext, and programs like xhost & xclock,
each of which has it's own version number, since they're also
released separately (and many are not upgraded in each window system
release, since they change so rarely).

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com