[rant] keeping policy in HAL

David Miller davem at davemloft.net
Mon Dec 1 01:39:32 PST 2008

From: "Nicolas Mailhot" <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 09:49:29 +0100 (CET)

> Ironically fontconfig was adopted in large part because the core fonts
> system had major problems with internationalization.

Ironically you didn't read my posting.

I'm not against any of this stuff, I'm against it being
done by default which breaks things on existing systems
that try to build GIT xorg and help you guys test things.

Distribution folks can be educated on what configure knobs
to change.  And after some time and things settle, the defaults
can change.

You can say fontconfig had been around long enough, but if something
as simple as emacs internationationalized fonts broke, it's obviously
not been around long enough to safely change the default.