[rant] keeping policy in HAL

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Dec 1 01:58:17 PST 2008

Le Lun 1 décembre 2008 10:39, David Miller a écrit :

> From: "Nicolas Mailhot" <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net>
> Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 09:49:29 +0100 (CET)
>
>> Ironically fontconfig was adopted in large part because the core
>> fonts
>> system had major problems with internationalization.
>
> Ironically you didn't read my posting.
>
> I'm not against any of this stuff, I'm against it being
> done by default which breaks things on existing systems
> that try to build GIT xorg and help you guys test things.

People have waited more than 5 years to make a change in defaults. Be
reasonable and admit this is not an hasty change and software had
plenty of time to adapt.

> Distribution folks can be educated on what configure knobs
> to change.  And after some time and things settle,

The things have settled years ago. Even Solaris-side.

> the defaults can change.

Which is what happened here.

> You can say fontconfig had been around long enough, but if something
> as simple as emacs internationationalized fonts broke, it's obviously
> not been around long enough to safely change the default.

Emacs is about the only FLOSS software that breaks, and only if you
don't run the latest versions. xorg people did emacs folks the
courtesy of waiting till they had something working even though pretty
much everyone else had switched years before.

If there is somethign obvious here, is that emacs maintainers didn't
made due diligence by any reasonable definition. Even the kernel made
major changes (devfs, sysfs, etc) in the time it took for emacs folks
to admit there was a problem.

--
Nicolas Mailhot