[xserver 1.6] RANDR primary output proposal

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Dec 3 11:42:32 PST 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-03 at 13:41 -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
> I've pushed a proposal for a pair of requests to get and set the primary
> output to:
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/proto/randrproto/diff/?h=get-set-primary&id=c25389a1b5cb5cb513eb9486aca4df0d53d089df

Please just post diffs here.

typedef struct {
+ BYTE type;
+ CARD8 pad;
+ CARD16 sequenceNumber B16;
+ CARD32 length B32;
+ RROutput output B32;
+} xRRGetOutputPrimaryReply;
+#define sz_xRRGetOutputPrimaryReply 12

Replies are always at least 32 bytes. (the length field indicates the
number of 4-byte units beyond the initial 32-byte header). You'll have
to pad this out to make it work.

+ The
+ default primary output is None, and None is a legal value to pass
+ to RRSetOutputPrimary.

I suspect drivers will want to set the default primary output to
something other than None -- on a laptop, one can imagine always making
the LVDS 'primary'. Something that lets the server set it to whatever it
likes at startup and yet leaves the semantics of None well defined
should work.

Otherwise, this looks good. Let me know when it's working :-)

keith.packard at intel.com