Bad performance on 2.6.28rc vs. 2.6.27 for intel 2.5.1 + xserver 1.5.3

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Dec 26 10:46:01 PST 2008

'Twas brillig, and Colin Guthrie at 15/12/08 00:19 did gyre and gimble:
> Just trying a new kernel 2.6.28rc and without changing anything else my
> DRI/GLX performance seems to have suffered badly. I'm running compiz on
> a i945GM.
>
> Is there anything specific that needs to be changed (e.g. in libdrm or
> mesa) to keep up to date with changes in the kernel itself?
>
> If I need to provide logs etc. for debugging it can be arranged ;)

Just wanted to follow up on this. I'm now using server-1.6-branch,
libdrm 2.4.3 and a mesa snapshot from a few days ago.

Booting into kernel 2.6.28rc8 causes a massive slowdown in compiz. Could
this be something simple like a timing issue on the compiz side
affecting it's animations or something more sinister?

I'll ask upstream on compiz IRC but I'm just canvassing opinion from the
clever folks here to see if there is anything obvious that I need to
take into account :)

Col

--

Colin Guthrie