Mac mini PPC X.org 1.3.0 (Ubuntu gutsy) and Evesham Alqemi S LCD TV

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 09:04:09 PST 2008

On Jan 23, 2008 3:51 AM, Stuart Langridge <sil at kryogenix.org> wrote:
> > > OK, just tried that. I get the same effect with the cvt-created
> > > modeline as I did before with the non-cvt 1280x720 mode; the
> > > right-hand part of the screen is oddly corrupted. (It looks to me as
> > > if the "1280x720" is only taking up the left-hand 75% of the screen,
> > > and the right-hand 25% is just uninitialised in some way, or similar?)
> >
> > do any other modes work?  720x480, 1280x768, 1366x768?  Does switching
> > VTs help in this case as well?
>
> If I put modelines for other modes in, X seems to go flickerishly mad
> when I start it up and then the scren goes black, although I need to
> try all possible combinations of modes being in and I haven't done
> that yet. (A question: I'm doing this in DVI-HDMI mode, because that
> can actually show X, even if only in 640x480. Should I use the DVI-VGA
> adapter and then the VGA port? X dies on startup in that environment,
> so it may not be better, but the xorg log for that mode may give some
> clues, if it's better to work that way than DVI-HDMI.)

when you use the VGA port the driver is not able to detect any
monitors attached so it fails.  Your adapter must block your monitor's
edid.  If you grab ati git master, it will back to a default output if
nothing is connected.  You might also try Option "TVDACLoadDetect"
true"

> > > Ah, sorry. When X starts, the screen is entirely black/blank. A VT
> > > switch makes X appear.
> >
> > Weird.  Can you dump the regs before and after switching the VT using
> > radeontool (http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=users/airlied/radeontool.git;a=summary)?
> >
> > (as root)
> > ./radeontool regmatch '*' > before.regs
> > switch VT
> > (as root) ./radeontool regmatch '*' > after.regs
>
> Just to confirm, that's:
>
> start X (screen will be black)
> from another machine, ssh in and do ./radeontool regmatch '*' > before.regs
> switch to a VT
> switch *back* to X's VT
> (X displays correctly)
> ./radeontool regmatch '*' > after.regs

yes correct.

> (Sorry, you're having to give me the Dummies' Guide To X.Org here, I know.)

No problem, glad to help :)

Alex