EXA Migration

Michel Dänzer michel at tungstengraphics.com
Tue Jul 1 08:42:51 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 17:50 +0300, Shachar Kaufman wrote:
> On an embedded system I have the GPU memory is actually faster than
> the CPU's main memory. Therefore it would be preferable to have new
> pixmaps allocated in offscreen vram right away and never migrated back
> (and forth).
>

> Is there a way I can achieve this without touching the server's EXA
> migration code (maybe a xorg.conf parameter or value I am missing)?

No straightforward way I'm afraid[0]. It sounds like what you'd want is
a variation of "always" which doesn't move pixmaps out of video RAM for
fallbacks, which should be easy to add.

[0] With current EXA, you could plug in your own allocation/migration
logic via the CreatePixmap hook and friends, but that seems like
overkill here...