Poor compositing performance on 965Q chipset with intel 2.2.1 driver

Simon Farnsworth simon.farnsworth at onelan.co.uk
Thu May 8 08:10:22 PDT 2008

We're seeing poor compositing performance on 965Q chipset systems, but
not Q35 or 945 based systems; until we got the Q35, we'd assumed that
this was caused by the synchronous compositing bugs that Carl Worth
diagnosed, as the symptom is Xorg taking 100% CPU.

Oprofile shows that on the 965Q (but not the Q35 or the 945), Xorg
spends most of its time in malloc.

Is this a known issue, and if so, are people working on fixing it? We've
got plenty of hardware on which we can reproduce this as needed, and
test fixes.

I've attached Xorg.log files from both 965Q and Q35 systems, in case
they're helpful.
--
Thanks in advance,

Simon Farnsworth