sharevts and novtswitch

Eugene roginovicci at nm.ru
Thu May 8 12:09:18 PDT 2008

On Thursday 08 May 2008 20:56:24 Martin Metzker wrote:
> Hello world!
>
> Is there any good documentation on the options -sharevts and -novtswitch
> out there? I understand these are used for multiseat setups (I once had
> such a setup myself) but who should I ask if something doesn't work?

I don't know who is in charge for that option but I can assume I have
multiseat working.

these options should be used in kdm (the greeter of kde) or gdm or xdm.
OK. While setting configuration you have to:
1. Check is your layouts working. Start X with X -layout Seat0 check if mouse
reacts and display shows crossection (the mouse pointer). Kill it and start
the second layout X -layout Seat1. Now you know your X layouts is fine
2. Make a symlink on X $ ln -s X X0 ;  ln -s X X1
3. start X while being user1 like that:
$ sleep 60 && X0 -layout Seat0 -novtswitch -sharevts
but before that while being in root console run the command $ sleep 120 &&
killall X0 ; killall X1
after starting X0 (not starting but running $ sleep 60 && X0 -layout Seat0 ,
60 seconds in enough to run X1) start X1 while being the user2 with
$ X1 -layout Seat1 -novtswitch -sharevts

if both screens flashed after 60 seconds and reacts on mouse movement, than
continue with configuring kdm.