Newbie at X Windows

Deepak Bhatia deepak.bhatia at nechclst.in
Fri May 16 06:28:34 PDT 2008

Hi,

When I run xinit, I get the following message

[deepak at localhost bin]$ xinit

Fatal server error:
PAM authentication failed, cannot start X server.
        Perhaps you do not have console ownership?

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
         at http://wiki.X.Org
 for help.

Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
giving up.
xinit:  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  unexpected signal 2.

If I am the root then I get following message
[root at localhost ~]# xinit

\
Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
        If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
        and start again.

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
         at http://wiki.X.Org
 for help.

Best Regards

Deepak Bhatia

Disclaimer:

This message and any attachment(s) contained here are information that is confidential, proprietary to NEC HCL System Technologies and its customers. Contents may be privileged or otherwise protected by law. The information is solely intended for the individual or the entity it is addressed to. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are not authorized to read, forward, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete it from your computer.