EXA and MigrationHeuristic

Marius Gedminas mgedmin at b4net.lt
Thu May 29 08:40:36 PDT 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 08:46:30PM +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> After my recent adventures with Radeon, XAA and EXA, I've come to the
> conclusion that setting MigrationHeuristic to greedy drastically helps
> performance of Firefox redraws on both Radeon and i965GM hardware.
>
> By drastically, I mean it -- a redraw of a full-screen Firefox goes
> from 3 to 5 seconds (!) down to a fraction of a second.
> Isn't the default value of MigrationHeuristic incorrect ?  Should we
> switch to greedy as default ?  (Julien tells me that he believes that
> Ubuntu have already made the switch.)

Apparently so:

  mg at platonas:~ $ grep migration /etc/X11/xorg.conf
  mg at platonas:~ $ grep migration /var/log/Xorg.0.log
  (WW) intel(0): EXA greedy migration mode enabled.
  (II) EXA(0): Forcing greedy migration option

Marius Gedminas
--
The First and Second Rules of Program Optimisation:
  1. Don't do it.