XDMCP / Gnome / KDE / Data transfer / GTK QT / Xorg extension

Rémi Cardona remi at gentoo.org
Mon Nov 17 22:54:23 PST 2008

Le 12/11/2008 22:54, Jean-Francois Bouchard a écrit :
> Problem :
> We experience very slow scroll speed (lets say, cat /var/log/messages)
> in Gnome terminal via XDMCP. (1M file : 1.5 minute to display)

[snip]

> On the fat server ...
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.8.2
> Kernel 2.6.9-78.0.1.ELsmp
> Gnome 2.8
         ^^^

That's your problem, right there. vte as shipped in Gnome 2.8 was very
slow and major performance profiling was done later on (in 2.12 or 2.14,
I'm not sure).

You should definitely try to update your "fat server" to a more recent
Gnome stack. It might not be perfect and there's probably some more room
left for improvements, but I think you'll find it a huge win over what
you are currently using.

Cheers

Rémi Cardona