pixman with and without SSE2 benchmarks?

Eeri Kask Eeri.Kask at inf.tu-dresden.de
Wed Sep 24 02:55:21 PDT 2008

Matthieu Herrb:
> Does someone have some benchmarks or numbers from real life X usage
> showing the benefits of using the SSE2 code in pixman 0.12.0 over non
> SSE2 on x86 and/or x86_64 cpus?
>
> I'm asking because OpenBSD is stuck with an old gcc version which can't
> compile the SSE2 code, and I wonder if it's worth hacking something to
> be able ship a version compiled by gcc 4.2 or later with SSE2 support
> with OpenBSD binary distributions.

I cannot answer your posed question but... it certainly isn't an 1.x
version of gcc or something?  :-)

Do you have a problem with inline assembler SSE2?  Can you compile
SSE2-intrinsics code?  To figure out, try this small snippet attached.
If it goes well then rewrite pixman using SSE2-intrinsics makes sense a
lot (if it already isn't), it turns code from "non maintainable" to
"maintainable".

Greetings,

     Eeri Kask