RandR query state for Gnome

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Sep 24 15:51:04 PDT 2008

Right now, Gnome uses RandR to figure out the current screen
configuration, but RandR probes the hardware, taking time and causing
flashing. What we need is some way to get the info that gnome needs
without also polling the hardware for what possible configurations there
might be.

This is targeted for Xserver 1.6, so I'd like to get the spec nailed
down and the implementation finished in the next couple of weeks if
possible; it seems like a simple thing to me.

So, I'll start with a guess and hope that people who actually know what
gnome (and even other desktops) want and can push us in the right
direction.

CRTCCONFIG { id: CRTC
             width, height: CARD16
             x, y: INT16
             transform: TRANSFORM
}

OUTPUTCONFIG { id: OUTPUT
               crtc: CRTC
               width_in_mm, height_in_mm: CARD16
}

┌───
    RRGetScreenConfiguration
        window: WINDOW
      ▶
        crtc-configs: LISTofCRTCCONFIG
 	output-configs: LISTofOUTPUTCONFIG
└───
        Errors: Window

This request returns the current configuration of the crtcs and outputs
for the screen associated with 'window'. This allows applications to
discover the complete geometry of the system in a single request, and
without asking for any external hardware status changes. 'transform'
contains the combination of any assigned projective transformation and
rotation/reflection set by the client.

keith.packard at intel.com