uinput devices

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+xorg at mega-nerd.com
Fri Apr 3 20:31:07 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I've working on a uinput device (currently in userspace) and trying
to get it hooked up to Xorg (on Ubuntu).

So far, I have a minimal driver which when run comes up in
/proc/bus/input/devices as:

    I: Bus=0006 Vendor=abcd Product=0001 Version=0001
    N: Name="Touchscreen (userspace)"
    P: Phys=
    S: Sysfs=/devices/virtual/input/input19
    U: Uniq=
    H: Handlers=event10
    B: EV=1

I notice that everytime I restart my userspace driver the Sysfs
entry changes (say input10 one time, input11 the next). Should
this be happening or am I doing something wrong?

If this changes everytime I run the driver, how do I create a entry
in xorg.conf to use? Should I be using udev to create a symlink?

Any clues appreciated.

Cheers,
Erik