[Intel-gfx] Screen Corruption On Intel GM45

Magnus Kessler Magnus.Kessler at gmx.net
Sat Apr 18 14:34:23 PDT 2009

On Saturday 18 Apr 2009 13:57:27 Mike Lothian wrote:
> 2009/4/17 Magnus Kessler <Magnus.Kessler at gmx.net>:
> > Even with this patch, any non-trivial OpenGL using application will lead
> > to a garbled screen within its own output window. The rest of the screen
> > is unaffected.
> >
> > If the entire screen is corrupted when KDE starts up, this is most likely
> > due to kwin compositing effects. Mike, can you try to set "[Compositing]
> > Enabled=false" in your kwinrc file and restart KDE? This should give you
> > a working KDE again with HEAD of xserver, although without the bling. Any
> > OpenGL application you start within that session (or in a plain startx
> > session with e.g. twm) will still be corrupted.
> >
> > For me xserver at commit 808fd2c67f303cb721769375b11ce8b90ffc1909 (just
> > before the DRI2 fake front buffer patches) with the memory leak fix
> > 7b6400a1b8d2f228fcbedf17c30a7e3924e4dd2a applied on top works quite well
> > for the time being.
> >
> > Magnus
>
> Yes switching of the "bling" allows KDE to be usable - glxgears is also
> fine
>
> Mike

I find that with the latest DRI2 related patch to xorg-video-intel (commit
5a07ab502fe1e58e7e37fe554fb42d8d2c8c53ec) most OpenGL applications that failed
with the DRI2 fake front buffer patches alone work again with head of Xorg
server. The exception is kwin. Normally it checks for the availability of
certain OpenGL functions and only enables its compositing if all checks
succeed. With current head of Xorg server, xf86-video-intel and Mesa, kwin
compositing is turned off automatically. Forcing it on through
"DisableChecks=true" leads to a corrupted screen. Ian Romanick suggested on
IRC to verify that kwin uses glXWait{X,GL} correctly. I'm looking into this.

Magnus