Possible bug with multiple pointing devices

Joel Feiner jafeiner at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 06:56:12 PDT 2009

I was going to file a bug report, but I'm not sure if this is a bug or a
configuration issue, so I am posting it here first.

I have a ThinkPad, which has a TrackPoint, and I use a USB optical
mouse.  When I left click to start selecting text with the optical
mouse, and drag with the TrackPoint, the mouse moves, but no text is
selected.  It works fine if I use the same pointing device to do the
button press and the dragging.  I just can't mix the two.  This issue
occurs regardless of which toolkit the application uses.

I am using evdev for the keyboard and the mouse.  The relevant sections
of my xorg.conf are here (I am not using HAL for configuration):

Section "ServerLayout"
     Identifier     "X.org Configured"
     Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
     InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
     InputDevice    "Mouse1" "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
     Identifier  "Mouse0"
     Driver      "evdev"
     Option      "CorePointer"
     Option      "Device"
"/dev/input/by-path/pci-0000:00:1d.1-usb-0:1:1.0-event-mouse"
     Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
     Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
     Identifier  "Mouse1"
     Driver      "evdev"
     Option      "SendCoreEvents" "true"
     Option      "Device"
"/dev/input/by-path/platform-i8042-serio-1-event-mouse"