xf86-input-evdev: Changes to 'master'

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon Feb 2 19:23:34 PST 2009

On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 01:13:35AM -0200, Paulo César Pereira de Andrade wrote:
> >>   But I think a better approach should be found for pkg-config
> >> variables, as creating a configure option is basically only to
> >> correct make distcheck.
> >
> > can you please explain what's wrong with make distcheck that it requires
> > fixing?
>
>   make distcheck can be seen as a test of a build and install in
> a controlled environment. It checks if the tarball contains all
> the files required to build the package, among other tests.
>
>   The problem in the xf86-input-evdev was it attempting to install
> files outside of DESTDIR. Actually, if you run make distcheck as
> root user, it will work. As will it work if you specify a wrong
> destdir but with correct permissions (usually a path not starting
> with / and installing in the build directory), and not cause any
> warnings.

It will also work if you set up the PKG_CONFIG_PATH correctly.

The properties header file is installed where the xserver installs the same
header file (xserver-properties.h).
Yes, this may be outside of the prefix, but it's where the other xorg header
files go too. AFAIC this is the right place to put them.

I'm happy to add* a configure-time option for those that want the header
somewhere else. But auto-guessing just to "fix" make distcheck on your machine
is not the right thing to do. And I would have appreciated if you would have
sent the patch to the list for review first before breaking evdev.

Cheers,
  Peter

* read: "i'm happy to merge such a patch"