xf86-input-evdev: Changes to 'master'

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 22:39:27 PST 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 7:23 PM, Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer at who-t.net> wrote:

>> > can you please explain what's wrong with make distcheck that it requires
>> > fixing?
>>
>>   make distcheck can be seen as a test of a build and install in
>> a controlled environment. It checks if the tarball contains all
>> the files required to build the package, among other tests.
>>
>>   The problem in the xf86-input-evdev was it attempting to install
>> files outside of DESTDIR. Actually, if you run make distcheck as
>> root user, it will work. As will it work if you specify a wrong
>> destdir but with correct permissions (usually a path not starting
>> with / and installing in the build directory), and not cause any
>> warnings.
>
> It will also work if you set up the PKG_CONFIG_PATH correctly.
>
> The properties header file is installed where the xserver installs the same
> header file (xserver-properties.h).
> Yes, this may be outside of the prefix, but it's where the other xorg header
> files go too. AFAIC this is the right place to put them.

It is the right place to put them. However, part of the distcheck
process is checking that "make install" only installs files under
$prefix. I say that's a stupid check, but I also think that having
distcheck pass is a good thing because it uncovers a lot of packaging
bugs. AFAIK, there isn't a way to override that part of distcheck.

> I'm happy to add* a configure-time option for those that want the header
> somewhere else. But auto-guessing just to "fix" make distcheck on your machine
> is not the right thing to do. And I would have appreciated if you would have
> sent the patch to the list for review first before breaking evdev.

Attached is a patch that should add the appropriate workaround. No
help text is added for the --with-sdkdir option so that people don't
get the idea that they want to use this option.

--
Dan