Strange issue with hal and Xorg

Matt Hayes dominian at slackadelic.com
Thu Jun 11 21:20:16 PDT 2009

Normally, xorg.conf I could map my buttons using ZAxisMapping "4 5" and
ButtonMapping "1 2 3 6 7" and Buttons "7" and things were dandy.

Well, after the latest updates to Slackware and Xorg, what I'm seeing
now is the side buttons on my Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3 are
mapping the buttons (side buttons) as 8 9 instead of 6 7.

However, making a change in xorg.conf to facilitate the change in
mapping, things DO work fine in X, but not other applications such as
Enemy Territory.

Below is my xinput list:

"Virtual core pointer"  id=0    [XPointer]
        Num_buttons is 32
        Num_axes is 2
        Mode is Relative
        Motion_buffer is 256
        Axis 0 :
                Min_value is -1
                Max_value is -1
                Resolution is 0
        Axis 1 :
                Min_value is -1
                Max_value is -1
                Resolution is 0
"Virtual core keyboard" id=1    [XKeyboard]
        Num_keys is 248
        Min_keycode is 8
        Max_keycode is 255
"Macintosh mouse button emulation"      id=2    [XExtensionPointer]
        Type is MOUSE
        Num_buttons is 32
        Num_axes is 2
        Mode is Relative
        Motion_buffer is 256
        Axis 0 :
                Min_value is -1
                Max_value is -1
                Resolution is 1
        Axis 1 :
                Min_value is -1
                Max_value is -1
                Resolution is 1
"AT Translated Set 2 keyboard"  id=3    [XExtensionKeyboard]
        Type is KEYBOARD
        Num_keys is 248
        Min_keycode is 8
        Max_keycode is 255
"Microsoft Microsoft 5-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM)"        id=4
[XExtensionPointer]
        Type is MOUSE
        Num_buttons is 32
        Num_axes is 2
        Mode is Relative
        Motion_buffer is 256
        Axis 0 :
                Min_value is -1
                Max_value is -1
                Resolution is 1
        Axis 1 :
                Min_value is -1
                Max_value is -1
                Resolution is 1

Now, what I don't understand is why hal is detecting the mouse as
Num_buttons 32... I even created a hal policy to map the buttons how I
normally would in xorg.conf and this had no effect.

I'm at a loss.

-Matt