New gotcha I just ran into, was radeonhd function missing

Beso givemesugarr at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 10:58:13 PDT 2009

2009/3/18 Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net>:
> On Wednesday 18 March 2009, Beso wrote:
>>2009/3/18 Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net>:
>>> Greetings Beso;
>>>
>>> Sorry about getting sidetracked.
>>>
>>> I've cleaned up my busted edits in the script, and now have a new failure
>>> exit from the mesa build.
>>>
>>> gmake[4]: Entering directory
>>> `/usr/src/mesa/src/gallium/state_trackers/egl' gcc -I../../include
>>> -I../../auxiliary -
>>> I../../../../src/mesa/drivers/dri/common -I../../../../src/mesa -
>>> I../../../../include -I../../../../src/egl/main
>>> -I/usr/src/drm/build/include - I/usr/src/drm/build/include/drm   -g -O2
>>> -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -std=c99 - ffast-math -fno-strict-aliasing
>>>  -fPIC  -DUSE_X86_ASM -DUSE_MMX_ASM - DUSE_3DNOW_ASM -DUSE_SSE_ASM
>>> -D_GNU_SOURCE -DPTHREADS -DHAVE_POSIX_MEMALIGN - DUSE_EXTERNAL_DXTN_LIB=1
>>> -DIN_DRI_DRIVER -DGLX_DIRECT_RENDERING - DGLX_INDIRECT_RENDERING
>>> -DHAVE_ALIAS  -c -o egl_context.o egl_context.c In file included from
>>> egl_context.c:7:
>>> egl_tracker.h:131: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before
>>> ‘drmModeModeInfoPtr’
>>> gmake[4]: *** [egl_context.o] Error 1
>>> gmake[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/mesa/src/gallium/state_trackers/egl'
>>> gmake[3]: *** [subdirs] Error 1
>>> gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/mesa/src/gallium/state_trackers'
>>> gmake[2]: *** [default] Error 1
>>> gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/mesa/src/gallium'
>>> make[1]: *** [subdirs] Error 1
>>> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/mesa/src'
>>> make: *** [default] Error 1
>>> error making mesa
>>> ==========================
>>> [root at coyote src]# cd mesa
>>> [root at coyote mesa]# grep -R drmModeModeInfoPtr *
>>> src/gallium/state_trackers/xorg/xorg_output.c:    drmModeModeInfoPtr
>>> drm_mode = NULL;
>>> src/gallium/state_trackers/egl/egl_surface.c:static drmModeModeInfoPtr
>>> src/gallium/state_trackers/egl/egl_surface.c:   drmModeModeInfoPtr m =
>>> NULL; src/gallium/state_trackers/egl/egl_tracker.h:   drmModeModeInfoPtr
>>> mode; src/gallium/state_trackers/egl/egl_tracker.c:   drmModeModeInfoPtr m
>>> = NULL; ===========================
>>> Looks like there is a missing include line?  But otherwise things are
>>> looking good, it has come quite a ways.  The modules are now installed I
>>> believe. However I haven't rebooted since the drm and the older version of
>>> mesa and radeonhd probably would not be a stable combination. I had to add
>>> a few lines to the script to stop the cp module errors because building a
>>> kernel without drm, it doesn't even have a gpu/drm dir in the
>>> /lib/modules/`uname - r`/kernel/drivers/ tree.
>>>
>>> I've attached a copy of the script as I ran it last.  Hopefully it isn't
>>> too badly butchered. :)
>>
>>if you need to reboot, just reinstall the compiled modules (dri2proto,
>>mesa, libdrm and kernel modules,xf86-video-radeonhd) from fedora
>>repository.
>
> But that would mean I'd have to reboot to the stock, latest kernel I believe,
> at which point only the readeondh would be diff.  yumex can install that right
> now in fact.  Or I need to turn the drm back on and rebuild before I reboot.
> That is probably the preferable path of least resistance ATM.

before rebooting reinstall the stock fedora mesa, dri2proto, libdrm,
kernel modules, radeonhd.

>>it should work as it worked before.
>>if i run the script now it builds everything. from the erro it might
>>be something from the official repository (sometimes they commit
>>something that doesn't really work and they fix it some time after
>>that). try posting the whole output of the script by redirecting
>>everything to a file and attaching that file.
>
> I tried several different redir syntaxes earlier and wasn't able to generate a
> file of more than 0 bytes even after a re-read of man bash.  What syntax are
> you using?

normal redirection: ./radeon-updater-modified.sh /usr/src/
1>./output.txt 2>>./output.txt
this redirects the script output to the file.

>>if there's something
>>missing in your system it might have been found by the autogen.sh
>>script.
>
> Reran it again. Exit message still the same as above. Added the list so
> everybody see's it.  If I can make the redirection work, I'll attach
> everything.  I just enabled the configure line that was commented out, which
> seemed to make the un-init'd  vars reports much more numerous, but the exit
> message remains as pasted above.  However, I note in the building modules
> stanza, this:
> =====================
>  Building modules, stage 2.
> fatal: Not a git repository
>  MODPOST 13 modules
> WARNING: "drm_agp_init_ttm" [/usr/src/drm/linux-core/via.ko] undefined!
> WARNING: "drm_agp_acquire" [/usr/src/drm/linux-core/nouveau.ko] undefined!
> WARNING: "drm_agp_bind" [/usr/src/drm/linux-core/nouveau.ko] undefined!
> WARNING: "drm_agp_init_ttm" [/usr/src/drm/linux-core/nouveau.ko] undefined!
> WARNING: "drm_agp_alloc" [/usr/src/drm/linux-core/nouveau.ko] undefined!
> WARNING: "drm_agp_enable" [/usr/src/drm/linux-core/nouveau.ko] undefined!
> WARNING: "drm_agp_info" [/usr/src/drm/linux-core/nouveau.ko] undefined!
> WARNING: "drm_agp_release" [/usr/src/drm/linux-core/mga.ko] undefined!
> WARNING: "drm_agp_acquire" [/usr/src/drm/linux-core/mga.ko] undefined!
> WARNING: "drm_agp_free" [/usr/src/drm/linux-core/mga.ko] undefined!
> WARNING: "drm_agp_bind" [/usr/src/drm/linux-core/mga.ko] undefined!
> WARNING: "drm_agp_unbind" [/usr/src/drm/linux-core/mga.ko] undefined!
> WARNING: "drm_agp_alloc" [/usr/src/drm/linux-core/mga.ko] undefined!
> WARNING: "drm_agp_enable" [/usr/src/drm/linux-core/mga.ko] undefined!
> WARNING: "drm_agp_info" [/usr/src/drm/linux-core/mga.ko] undefined!
> WARNING: "drm_addbufs_agp" [/usr/src/drm/linux-core/mga.ko] undefined!
> WARNING: "init_mm" [/usr/src/drm/linux-core/drm.ko] undefined!
> =================================
you're not using any of that drivers so you can ignore the warnings.

> so I have doubts it will work, that last WARNING about init_mm is the error I
> get when I try to modprobe the new drm.ko it has made.  And I'm going to have
> to do that as kmail has taken to spinning its wheels for about 1 minute just
> to open a composer to reply to a message.

well, if it got to mesa then the drm modules have been built. you
might try to download the stable mesa 7.3 release and try to build
that one instead of the git version. that one shouldn't fail now,
since the requirements should have been met after compiling and
installing dri2proto and libdrm from git.

--
dott. ing. beso