How much asynchronous is X/XCB?

Michał Kazior kazikcz at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 05:03:35 PST 2009

Hi,

After some recent updates on my box I started to suffer a strange issue.

I'm using AwesomeWM, and since it's using XCB I figured this is a good
place to ask next.

Is X/XCB meant to care about the order of commands such as subsequent
xcb_map_window calls? I attach a screen shot that shows what happens
if things go bad when mapping two windows - they get painted in the
wrong order and overlap each other at random parts. The "vmstat 1"
window continues to paint itself over the rest. Both windows are the
same geometry.

Is this supposed to be like this? Any suggestions of a workaround?
Could this be an X issue, driver issue, or something else?

I'm using xorg-server 1.7.1, libxcb-1.4. I have a multicore (Core 2
Duo) system with Intel X3100 (GMA965) gfx.

Regards,
Michal Kazior.