How much asynchronous is X/XCB?

Abelenda diego.abelenda at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 06:17:53 PST 2009

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 14:03:35 +0100
Michał Kazior <kazikcz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After some recent updates on my box I started to suffer a strange
> issue.
>
> I'm using AwesomeWM, and since it's using XCB I figured this is a good
> place to ask next.
>
> Is X/XCB meant to care about the order of commands such as subsequent
> xcb_map_window calls? I attach a screen shot that shows what happens
> if things go bad when mapping two windows - they get painted in the
> wrong order and overlap each other at random parts. The "vmstat 1"
> window continues to paint itself over the rest. Both windows are the
> same geometry.
>
> Is this supposed to be like this? Any suggestions of a workaround?
> Could this be an X issue, driver issue, or something else?
>
> I'm using xorg-server 1.7.1, libxcb-1.4. I have a multicore (Core 2
> Duo) system with Intel X3100 (GMA965) gfx.
>

> Regards,
> Michal Kazior.

Hi,

I have a config that is near yours with awesome-3.4, xorg-server-1.7.1
and libxcb-1.4, a core2duo (but with nouveau on an nvidia quadro nvs
135M), I haven't seen the problem you talk about. Maybe you haven't
recompiled some libs depending on libxcb when you updated it and causes
some problem of compatibility.

Regards

ABELENDA Diego