how to read EDID/xrandr

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Tue Oct 13 08:27:06 PDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-10-11 at 01:35 +0000, Ondrej Balaz wrote:
> Hi,
> is it possible to get edid info (especialy vendor and product id) for
> each of xrandr screens through X11 api?
>
> I'm creating utility to remember various devices connected to VGA output
> of my laptop (their mode/resolution, position etc.). AFAIK there is no
> better identificator than vendor+product_id pair. I can see both
> informations for various devices in my Xorg.0.log but I don't know how
> to "reaccess" them (if it's possible).

Through X API: not directly, no.  You can get the raw EDID data out of
RANDR though.

The edid-decode app in xorg git decodes most of the interesting bits of
EDID, including name/model/serial.  See:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/app/edid-decode/tree/edid-decode.c

In particular the bits about manufacturer_name().

- ajax