how to read EDID/xrandr

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Thu Oct 15 01:06:21 PDT 2009

Am 13.10.09, 11:27 -0400 schrieb Adam Jackson:
> On Sun, 2009-10-11 at 01:35 +0000, Ondrej Balaz wrote:
>> Hi,
>> is it possible to get edid info (especialy vendor and product id) for
>> each of xrandr screens through X11 api?
>>
>> I'm creating utility to remember various devices connected to VGA output
>> of my laptop (their mode/resolution, position etc.). AFAIK there is no
>> better identificator than vendor+product_id pair. I can see both
>> informations for various devices in my Xorg.0.log but I don't know how
>> to "reaccess" them (if it's possible).
>
> Through X API: not directly, no.  You can get the raw EDID data out of
> RANDR though.
>
> The edid-decode app in xorg git decodes most of the interesting bits of
> EDID, including name/model/serial.  See:
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/app/edid-decode/tree/edid-decode.c

I like such code snippets. Many thanks.
Is a way known, to pipe the output of xprop or xrandr to edid-decode on
the command line?

Btw. edid-decode.c and to edid-parse.c from Soeren Sandmann
seem to have not all in properties in common. Especially
decode_color_characteristics() from the later.

> In particular the bits about manufacturer_name().
>
> - ajax

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--