Help configuring xorg (broken screen)

Giovanni Battista Lenoci gianiaz at gianiaz.net
Thu Oct 15 23:10:20 PDT 2009

Hi, I have a laptop (DELL PRECISION) with an nvidia Quadro FX 770M card,
and my screen as a little part broken. I have a vertical bar on the left
side of the screen of about 70pixel, and I wondering if I can exclude
this part of the screen, to continue see the whole desktop in the
remaing part of the screen.

I've tried several ways (in the virtual option of display subsection in
the xorg.conf file) and with xrandr

xrandr gives me this info:

root at shantaram:/home/gianiaz# xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 400 x 300, current 1440 x 900, maximum 1440 x 900
default connected 1440x900+0+0 0mm x 0mm
   1440x900       50.0*    51.0
   1360x768       52.0     53.0
   1152x864       54.0
   1024x768       55.0
   800x600        56.0
   720x450        57.0
   680x384        58.0     59.0
   576x432        60.0
   512x384        61.0
   400x300        62.0

What I whis to do is to create a resolution of 1370x900 that began from
the 70x0 (left-top) corner and finish to the 1440x900 corner.

Is that possible?

Apologize me if this is not the right list, but I don't know where to look.

Thank you

--
gianiaz.net - web solutions
via piedo, 58 - 23020 tresivio (so) - italy