DPMS works in init3, but not in init5

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 19:37:31 PDT 2010

Greets all;

I had a round with some updates this morning that cause all sorts of hate
and discontent in the X dept, booting to a pure white screen, this being
pclos-2010.7 on a phenom 4 core cpu.

While fighting with X, an nvidia error of some sort that was eventually able
to fix, I have /etc/inittab set to runlevel 3.  At one point I gave it up &
went to carve some wood for an hour, and when I returned from that, I
noticed that the monitor had been turned off.

However, once the X/nvidia problem was sorted, and inittab reset to
runlevel 5, I am again forced to turn it off by hand, and no amount of
fiddling with the kde4.5 configs seem to be able to control anything but the
screen blanker's on timing.

If I "grep DPMS /var/log/Xorg.0.log", I get this:
[gene at coyote ~]$ grep DPMS /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(II) Loading extension DPMS
(**) NVIDIA(0): DPMS enabled

Does anyone know of a test tool, preferably a mouthy one that can test and
trace why this isn't working?

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene