Custom modeline in 10-monitor.conf?

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Sat Dec 4 12:23:37 PST 2010

Robert wrote:
> I upgraded xorg-server and I noticed it didn't read my settings. I
> figured that the new xorg probably must have deprecated the xorg.conf
> file, and that I would have to configure it in the new way of using
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d instead.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf is not deprecated, and is still read by the upstream code.
Some input device entries there are ignored since the advent of input hotplug,
but that's been true since Xorg 1.4 or so.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d extends /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but does not replace it.
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d is intended to replace .fdi files for input device
configuration that were used by HAL for platforms which have moved off HAL.

> And sure enough, the arch linux wiki said
> that 10-monitor.conf is the new config file for monitor settings.

That's a file created by your distro and a choice they've made to put
monitor settings there.

(Sorry, I don't know why your driver isn't honoring your modeline, but
 it shouldn't be because of the file you put it in.   I would bet it has
 a lot more to do with the Intel driver doing modesetting in the kernel
 instead of Xorg since the advent of KMS.)

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com