Problem with X&xbindkeys(xgrabkey). Buffer overflow?

ENRIQUE ARIZON BENITO enrique.arizonbenito at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 03:16:58 PST 2010

I couldn't find any time to dig deeper into the problem, and since I'm
not an expert in the X I'm afraid it would take me lot of time and
efforts.

The strace output was not very informative and setting up X for
debugging was really troublesome since I'm using a debian based system
and apt forced to upgrade quite a lot of packages that I can't afford
at this moment.

All I found is that the random error is associated with a particular
hardware in my system. When the key pressed is associated with an
script that directly or indirectly triggers an "write output" to the
usb2serial device (based on a pl2303 chipset) the problem randomly
arise. It doesn't repeat in any other circumstance, just when sending
data out to the /dev/ttyUSB0 (pl2303 usb2serial) device.

For now, I solved the issue ussing a custom C program that directly
reads to /dev/input/event"N" completly bypassing the X system.
(For anyone interested I used a custom modifyied version of logkeys
-http://code.google.com/p/logkeys/-. It also has the advantage of
beeing able to differentiate between different input devices, while
the disadvantage of beeing more "linux-centric")

Regards,

Enrique