[ANNOUNCE] xorg-server 1.8.99.904

Piotr Gluszenia Slawinski curious at bwv190.internetdsl.tpnet.pl
Thu Jul 1 16:29:10 PDT 2010

On Thu, 1 Jul 2010, Fernando Carrijo wrote:

> Tiago Vignatti <tiago.vignatti at nokia.com> wrote:
>
>> If I have more motivation I'll try to get some stats comparing different
>> versions of the server development and maybe other modules. Also, if you are
>> interested on different kind of statistics I can run more. Suggestions are
>> very welcome and appreciated (for instance fixing contributor <-> company)!
>
> A year or so ago, someone pointed me out a PhD dissertation in which a

> For sure the information contained in git logs don't measure how high-level the
> changes are being submitted, but it would be nice to devise some metrics, apart
> from the usual LOC, which could help us visualize the architectural impact
> caused by the big players.

most of changes being done are fixes, and do not contribute to
structural changes in Xorg. i would be more interested in
overall history graphs (since 3.3.6 release), with semantic analysis,
MPX changes, etc.

also note 'big players' usually implement same changes 'small players' do
- which make software functional for their particular purpose, not
nessesairly making development any easier for other cases.
main difference is changes confidence factor.

i've been silently following X development since at least 10 years,
incl. vnc branches and i would surely hold out enthusiasm due to recent
changes being made and planning outcomes from such short period of time
recent stats did present.

otoh i am very glad so many people still do contribute and maintain
knowledge about code structure - imho this wishes the project at least
next several years of existence.

greetings and thanx to all for their great work through all those years.