Ati Radeon 7200 3D feature is buggy (kernel 2.6.34-rc6, ATI driver 6.13) (Answer TWO: more precise)

Uwe Bugla uwe.bugla at gmx.de
Mon May 3 14:33:37 PDT 2010

Am Montag, den 03.05.2010, 12:49 -0400 schrieb Alex Deucher:
> 2010/5/3 Uwe Bugla <uwe.bugla at gmx.de>:

> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > SIGH! I got Compiz running together with my ATI Radeon QD 7200 (=R100).
> >
> > Just to make it clear for every one:
> >
> > Needed are:
> >
> > 1. Kernel 2.6.34-rc6
> > 2. a self built Debian package containing the latest snapshot from
> > driver xf86-video-ati, version 6.13.
> > 3. one AGP patch
> > 4. one Radeon patch
> > 5. most important (and this one cost me hours to find out!):
> >
> > NOT the latest master from here:
> > http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/
> > This master contains hunks which make the whole thing incompatible!
> >

> What hunks are causing problems?  What sort of problems are you seeing?

I feel sorry and I apologize - this was a wrong assumption of mine
telling me and us that it is anything else but trivial to configure
Compiz Fusion: Although the ATI driver is OK now thanks to Dave's patch
still one false mouse click is enough to crash the kernel with Compiz.

So concerning the radeon driver you can safely forget about the
following text:

> > Instead you can use this one:
> > http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/snapshot/mesa-nvfx-next-6b.tar.gz
> >
> > This is Luca Barbieri's experimental tree, which not only works
> > excellent with my Nvidia nv34 cards, but furthermore seems to be the
> > only one to work with my ATI driver......
> >

> > Michel Dänzer does not like the Radeon patch, and Dave Airlie promised
> > to write a better one.
> > Unfortunately I haven't seen any patch from Dave yet, so the empty
> > promise stays to at least try to find a better solution......
>
> There were several new variations of the patch from both Dave and
> Michel and you were cc'ed on most of them:
> http://marc.info/?l=dri-devel&m=127233579110506&w=2
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2010-April/000266.html
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2010-April/000309.html
>
> Alex