problem with xset

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Mon May 17 15:09:49 PDT 2010

On 05/16/2010 07:36 PM, Mike Oliver wrote:
> On 5/16/2010 12:03 PM, jd wrote:
>> Dear all,
>> I have been trying to change the KB autorepeat
>> to a very slow rate, but does not work.
>> To wit:
>>
>> $ xset r 2 500
>> xset:  unknown option 500
>>
>> usage: .....etc.....
>>
>> So, the man page says the options for rate setting are:
>> [-r [keycode]]  [r [keycode]] [r {on|off}] [r rate delay [rate]]
>
> The first 'rate' in '[r rate delay [rate]]' is a keyword, not a
> parameter.  Do this:
>
>    xset r rate 2 500
>
> Mike.

Hi Mike.
I tried it, and it fails.
What's with the Xlib extension error?

$ xset r rate 2 500
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-Misc" missing on display ":0.0".
xset:  unknown option 500

usage:  xset [-display host:dpy] option ...
     To turn bell off:
     -b                b off               b 0
     To set bell volume, pitch and duration:
      b [vol [pitch [dur]]]          b on
     To disable bug compatibility mode:
     -bc
     To enable bug compatibility mode:
     bc
     To turn keyclick off:
     -c                c off               c 0
     To set keyclick volume:
      c [0-100]        c on
     To control Energy Star (DPMS) features:
     -dpms      Energy Star features off
     +dpms      Energy Star features on
      dpms [standby [suspend [off]]]
           force standby
           force suspend
           force off
           force on
           (also implicitly enables DPMS features)
           a timeout value of zero disables the mode
     To set the font path:
      fp= path[,path...]
     To restore the default font path:
      fp default
     To have the server reread font databases:
      fp rehash
     To remove elements from font path:
     -fp path[,path...]  fp- path[,path...]
     To prepend or append elements to font path:
     +fp path[,path...]  fp+ path[,path...]
     To set LED states off or on:
     -led [1-32]         led off
      led [1-32]         led on
     To set mouse acceleration and threshold:
      m [acc_mult[/acc_div] [thr]]    m default
     To set pixel colors:
      p pixel_value color_name
     To turn auto-repeat off or on:
     -r [keycode]        r off