problem with xset

Mike Oliver mike.oliver at oracle.com
Mon May 17 17:36:35 PDT 2010

On 05/17/10 15:09, JD wrote:

> On 05/16/2010 07:36 PM, Mike Oliver wrote:
>> On 5/16/2010 12:03 PM, jd wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>> I have been trying to change the KB autorepeat
>>> to a very slow rate, but does not work.
>>> To wit:
>>>
>>> $ xset r 2 500
>>> xset: unknown option 500
>>>
>>> usage: .....etc.....
>>>
>>> So, the man page says the options for rate setting are:
>>> [-r [keycode]] [r [keycode]] [r {on|off}] [r rate delay [rate]]
>>
>> The first 'rate' in '[r rate delay [rate]]' is a keyword, not a
>> parameter. Do this:
>>
>> xset r rate 2 500
>>
>> Mike.
>
> Hi Mike.
> I tried it, and it fails.
> What's with the Xlib extension error?
>

> $ xset r rate 2 500
> Xlib: extension "XFree86-Misc" missing on display ":0.0".
> xset: unknown option 500

The 'r' argument section of the 'xset' man page I have here says:

   If the server supports the XFree86-Misc extension, or the XKB extension,
   then a  parameter of 'rate' is accepted and should be followed by zero,
   one or two numeric values.  The first  specifies the delay before
   autorepeat starts and the second specifies the repeat rate.   In the
   case that  the  server  supports the XKB extension, the delay is the
   number of milliseconds before autorepeat starts, and the rate is the
   number of repeats per second.

Based on the error message, presumably your X server doesn't provide the
required extensions, so the 'xset r rate ...' command will fail when run
against this server.  (I'm not certain, but I think xset's willingness
to use the XKB extension is a recent addition.  If your 'xset' is old
then it might not know how to work with XKB and might depend entirely
on XFree86-Misc.)

You can run 'xdpyinfo' to get a list of the extensions your X server
provides.

If your X server doesn't provide the required extension(s) then the only
way I know of to influence the key repeat rate is by arranging to pass
suitable -ar1 and -ar2 command-line options to the X server as it starts
up.

Mike.
mike.oliver at oracle.com