Fullscreen windows - weird behaviour

Andreas Falkenhahn andreas at airsoftsoftwair.de
Tue May 18 09:39:38 PDT 2010

On 18.05.2010 at 19:29 Russell Shaw wrote:

>Andreas Falkenhahn wrote:

>>> You could add test code that uses XQueryTree() to find out why.
>>>
>>> http://tronche.com/gui/x/xlib/window-information/XQueryTree.html
>>
>> Hmm, I'm not sure if this would help. What is really confusing me is the
>> fact that even when I call XGrabPointer() on my main window (mode set to
>> GrabModeAsync), I can still get the task bar to pop up. How can this
>> happen? Isn't XGrabPointer() supposed to intercept delivery of all mouse
>> events excepting the window specified in XGrabPointer()?
>>
>> When I call XGrabPointer() without changing the screen mode using
>> XF86VidModeSwitchToMode() it works exactly like that: Everything on the
>> desktop except my window seems frozen. Clicking on the taskbar doesn't
>> trigger any action. It's completely dead. However, when calling
>> XGrabPointer() after XF86VidModeSwitchToMode(), it's possible to pop the
>> task bar to the front. It's pretty weird because I thought that after
>> XGrabPointer() the mouse would be completely mine until I call
>> XUngrabPointer().
>
>Does XGrabPointer() return GrabSuccess? It won't if something else has
>grabbed it.

Yes, I checked this of course. It returns 0 every time.

Well, maybe it's a bug in openSUSE 11.2/kde4 because it works alright on
Ubuntu and Fedora. I can't really make sense of the behaviour in openSUSE
because the pointer should really be mine. It's weird.

Greets,

Andreas
--
"Remember: It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice!"