8k resolution video causes X Error

Maarten Maathuis madman2003 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 23:03:40 PST 2011

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 6:11 PM, Donald McLachlan
<Donald.McLachlan at crc.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't know where to start to resolve this problem and guessed maybe this
> is a good place to start. If not, please point me in the right direction.
>
> Our ultimate goal is to stream 8k resolution video using sage (see
> www.sagecommons.org).
>
> - We first used ffmpeg to convert a 4k resolution video file to yuv format,
> and we were able to view it with ffplay, mplayer, and crcview (an in house
> program).
> - We then used ffmpeg to convert/resample the same 4k resolution video file
> to yuv/8k resolution; the conversion completed without error.
> - When trying to view the resulting yuv/8k resolution file all three viewer
> programs failed with the same X Error.  For example, here is the output from
> ffplay:
>
> ffplay -i Lupe.8k.yuv -s 8192x4320 -pix_fmt yuv420p -x 1920 -y 1080
> ffplay version 0.8, Copyright (c) 2003-2011 the FFmpeg developers
>   built on Nov 30 2011 13:01:22 with gcc 4.5.1 20101208 [gcc-4_5-branch
> revision 167585]
>   configuration:
>   libavutil    51.  9. 1 / 51.  9. 1
>   libavcodec   53.  7. 0 / 53.  7. 0
>   libavformat  53.  4. 0 / 53.  4. 0
>   libavdevice  53.  1. 1 / 53.  1. 1
>   libavfilter   2. 23. 0 /  2. 23. 0
>   libswscale    2.  0. 0 /  2.  0. 0
> [rawvideo @ 0x129d740] Estimating duration from bitrate, this may be
> inaccurate
> Input #0, rawvideo, from 'Lupe.8k.yuv':
>   Duration: N/A, start: 0.000000, bitrate: N/A
>     Stream #0.0: Video: rawvideo, yuv420p, 8192x4320, 25 tbr, 25 tbn, 25 tbc
> X Error of failed request:  BadLength (poly request too large or internal
> Xlib length error)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  132 (XVideo)
>   Minor opcode of failed request:  18 ()
>   Serial number of failed request:  23
>   Current serial number in output stream:  24
>
> In case it matters, we are using openSuse 11.4 64 bit linux, on an ASUS P6T7
> WS Supercomputer motherboard, with 12 G RAM, and a ASUS GTX590 video card.
>
> My guess is the 8k resolution video format is exceeding a buffer size limit
> somewhere, either in software, or maybe on the video card.
> Is there a way to find out what buffers are affected and is there a way to
> overcome these limits?
>
> Thanks for any assistance you can provide,
> Don

If this is using the nouveau driver (check lsmod or xorg log), i see
that for some reason that it's limited to 4096x4096 for xvideo.

See this line: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/nouveau/xf86-video-nouveau/tree/src/nouveau_xv.c#n2031

And then check the contents of DummyEncodingTex and you'll find it
refers to the maximum sizes.

The command xvinfo confirms this.

NV50 and higher (everything starting geforce 8) are able to do
8192x8192, it should just be a matter of making a NV50 specific
DummyEncodingTex structure.

--
Far away from the primal instinct, the song seems to fade away, the
river get wider between your thoughts and the things we do and say.