8k resolution video causes X Error

Donald McLachlan Donald.McLachlan at crc.ca
Mon Dec 5 06:38:48 PST 2011

On 05/12/2011 2:03 AM, Maarten Maathuis wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 6:11 PM, Donald McLachlan
> <Donald.McLachlan at crc.ca>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I don't know where to start to resolve this problem and guessed maybe this
>> is a good place to start. If not, please point me in the right direction.
>>
>> Our ultimate goal is to stream 8k resolution video using sage (see
>> www.sagecommons.org).
>>
>> - We first used ffmpeg to convert a 4k resolution video file to yuv format,
>> and we were able to view it with ffplay, mplayer, and crcview (an in house
>> program).
>> - We then used ffmpeg to convert/resample the same 4k resolution video file
>> to yuv/8k resolution; the conversion completed without error.
>> - When trying to view the resulting yuv/8k resolution file all three viewer
>> programs failed with the same X Error.  For example, here is the output from
>> ffplay:
>>
>> ffplay -i Lupe.8k.yuv -s 8192x4320 -pix_fmt yuv420p -x 1920 -y 1080
>> ffplay version 0.8, Copyright (c) 2003-2011 the FFmpeg developers
>>    built on Nov 30 2011 13:01:22 with gcc 4.5.1 20101208 [gcc-4_5-branch
>> revision 167585]
>>    configuration:
>>    libavutil    51.  9. 1 / 51.  9. 1
>>    libavcodec   53.  7. 0 / 53.  7. 0
>>    libavformat  53.  4. 0 / 53.  4. 0
>>    libavdevice  53.  1. 1 / 53.  1. 1
>>    libavfilter   2. 23. 0 /  2. 23. 0
>>    libswscale    2.  0. 0 /  2.  0. 0
>> [rawvideo @ 0x129d740] Estimating duration from bitrate, this may be
>> inaccurate
>> Input #0, rawvideo, from 'Lupe.8k.yuv':
>>    Duration: N/A, start: 0.000000, bitrate: N/A
>>      Stream #0.0: Video: rawvideo, yuv420p, 8192x4320, 25 tbr, 25 tbn, 25 tbc
>> X Error of failed request:  BadLength (poly request too large or internal
>> Xlib length error)
>>    Major opcode of failed request:  132 (XVideo)
>>    Minor opcode of failed request:  18 ()
>>    Serial number of failed request:  23
>>    Current serial number in output stream:  24
>>
>> In case it matters, we are using openSuse 11.4 64 bit linux, on an ASUS P6T7
>> WS Supercomputer motherboard, with 12 G RAM, and a ASUS GTX590 video card.
>>
>> My guess is the 8k resolution video format is exceeding a buffer size limit
>> somewhere, either in software, or maybe on the video card.
>> Is there a way to find out what buffers are affected and is there a way to
>> overcome these limits?
>>
>> Thanks for any assistance you can provide,
>> Don

> If this is using the nouveau driver (check lsmod or xorg log), i see
> that for some reason that it's limited to 4096x4096 for xvideo.
>
> See this line: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/nouveau/xf86-video-nouveau/tree/src/nouveau_xv.c#n2031
>
> And then check the contents of DummyEncodingTex and you'll find it
> refers to the maximum sizes.
>
> The command xvinfo confirms this.
>
> NV50 and higher (everything starting geforce 8) are able to do
> 8192x8192, it should just be a matter of making a NV50 specific
> [...]

Hi Maaten,

I believe we replaced the nouveau driver with the nvidia driver, but I
will double check.

I will run the xvinfo command to see what it says limits are.

- If need be I guess we could revert to the nouveau driver and modify
the DummyEncodingTex structure.
- Does anyone know if there something similar we can do with the nvidia
driver to enable 8k? (I guess maybe Nvidia are the ones to ask. :-) )

Thanks, and I'll let you know how it goes,
Don