dead keys not working at all?

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Tue Jul 26 08:35:53 PDT 2011

AP> When I ktrace `xev`, it loads $HOME/.XCompose, as the trace shows.
AP> However, if I trace `xterm`, the ".XCompose" string doesn't appear in
AP> the dump at all, nor "compose-cache" or anything like that.

Also look for something matching (or nearly matching) the glob pattern:

   /usr{/local,}/share/X11/locale/${LANG}/Compose

AP> Why would `xev` load it, but not other apps?

Probably some difference in how they call libX11.

AP> I do run ibus.

AP> And indeed, when I comment it from .xinitrc, I can get my dead keys
AP> back.  It seems to be a bug in ibus, that has been mentioned already
AP> two years ago, and never solved.

Although I installed ibus on one box, I never used it.  On the rare
occasions I had any need for a complex IM I used Emacs' internal IM....

Tracing and/or running everything with gdb attached are probably the
best ways to track down that bug.

Comparing traces between the working and non-working boxen should help.

And try ltrace(1), too.  Seeing the library calls might be more
informative that just the system calls.

-JimC