High /usr/bin/X CPU Usage

Chris Robinson fabricator4 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 8 06:59:40 PDT 2011

Trying a different driver was going to be my next suggestion.

Actually, I had a problem with my Ubuntu 11.04 install (Unity) tonight.  After an update and reboot the CPU usage went up to 100% and stayed there.  By looking at top I could see that it was xorg that was chomping on the CPU.  I haven't seen this problem in Ubuntu since the 11.04 Alphas - thought it was well and truly fixed.  This machine is not my production machine  - just a test machine for 11.04 so it doesn't get used that much - but I can say that it hasn't behaved like this in the last four and a half months.  The only thing that has changed is a new Nvidia 6200 graphics card, installed about two weeks ago.

I had to reboot (for another reason) and the problem hasn't returned, but it seems a bit of a worry.

Chris.