independent, non-interactive display on second videocard port?

Ryan Braun rbraun204 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 08:44:27 PDT 2012

We have a bunch of workstations now with dual head cards (or more) that are
only utilizing one of the displays.  We also have alot of data that is
useful to have displayed when not logged on to the machine,  but due to
security reqs,  obviously, we cannot leave the machines logged in with no
one at the helm.

What I would like to be able to do,  is hang a display (monitor, tv etc) on
one or more of the unused videocard outputs,  and be able to run a
non-interactive display of several self updating apps,  of which I would
provide the geometry.

An important aspect of this would be that the interactive displays are not
at all controlled by the user currently controlling the interactive
display,  or by anyone at all to be honest.  But that the primary display
continues to be used as a normal working x display.

In my mind I would imagine it's just a hacked up xorg.conf with a second
instance of X running (perhaps by a separate user).  And I'm sure this kind
of thing has been done before,  just not sure what the throw at google as I
haven't been able to find anything.

Most of the boxes we have are running nvidia quadro hardware,  with some
ATI.  Distribution wise,  this will be mostly debian squeeze+ with some
ubuntu maverick+