map of X11R7 src files

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Tue Feb 21 13:25:57 PST 2012

On 02/21/12 09:25 AM, jtowler at soncom.com wrote:
>          I run NetBSD curr ver 5.1.2.  I want to build a more recent Xorg
>          dist. than they supply for that version of the OS.  The build
>          process which they use is not exactly running make World in the
>          xc directory, and I have not yet been able to make their system
>          build correctly.  The dist tar files for X11>R6 are at
>          ftp.x.org in separate dirs each with some piece of the system
>          that is X11.  Versions of X11R6 and XFree86 all unpacked into a
>          single project root directory from which the build took place.
>          Where or how is this mapping accomplished.  Does unpacking all
>          the separate tar files of X11R7.? in whatever subdirectory they
>          are found result in a common singly rooted tree from which a
>          build can be undertaken or how to I need to arganize the file
>          dir structure to accomplish this?

X11R7 completely replaced the structure and build system.   There is no
single hierarchy you can build at once any more - just all the individual
modules, allowing you to choose the components you need and skip the ones
you don't, and get updates as they're ready for each module, instead of
having to have a security fix in one library or hardware support updates
in a driver tied to new feature development in the X server.

There are various tools for building multiple modules at once, like the
build.sh and jhbuild scripts in our modular developer toolkit, and various
distros have put their own build systems in place around the modules, such
as OpenBSD's Xenocara.

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com