softimage_opensuse_XGetRequest

Eric Gunther egunther at warwick.net
Mon Jan 28 17:16:04 PST 2013

On Mon, 2013-01-28 at 22:56 +0100, Thomas Lübking wrote:
> On Sonntag, 27. Januar 2013 15:53:26 CEST, egunther at warwick.net wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Thank You very much for the reply.  Unfortunately I am kind of stumbling
> > in the dark here and so tried what I 'got' or thought might work.  What I
> > interpreted you to mean was that I 'could' copy another file, which in
> > this case needed to be 64, because both the software and the OS are 64.
> >
> > I copied libXext.so.6 from /usr/lib64/

> > /usr/Softimage/Softimage_2011/Application/bin/
> >
> > and X froze/crashed.
>
> Errm ... sure you "copied" it, not more like "moved" it?

Well, I think what I specifically did, which I realize in retrospect may
have been stupid was

cd /usr/Sofitmage/Softimage_2011/Application/bin

cp /usr/lib64/libXext.so.6 .

which I thought meant 'here'.  Maybe thats not what it means.  why don't
they have smiley's for 'shit eating grin'

What I eventually did was reinstall the whole thing, OpenSuSE.
Fortunately the install more or less puts me back where I was,
Unfortunately I am not sure if everything is 'fresh'.

> > I Did try to rm the newly copied libXext.so.6 from the
>
> Well, in case you moved it away from it's former location, run "yast" from the textshell and reinstall the libXext package - otherwise you're screwed, except:

I did try various permutations of just that from zypper (openSuSE
package management) and eventually from yast, but I couldn't figure out
how to reinstall.  It (yast) told me that I would break all kinds of
dependencies if I removed the package ( libXext6 )

> Notice also that the libXext.so.6 variant is usually only a symlink to eg. libXext.so.6.4.0 which in this case you only have to restore (as root)
> cd /usr/lib64/
> ls libXext.so.6*
> ln -s libXext.so.6.4.0 libXext.so.6
> (given libXext.so.6.4.0 exists and is not libXext.so.6.3.8 or so)

Right! This means that I just needed to put a pointer back, nothing big.
I think.

> For the future: do not (never) attempt to fix anything by deleting anything - destrucitve step that cannot be undone.
> Just move the file away ("mv libXext.so.6 not.libXext.so.6")

I think that this is what I did, I mv'd the libXext.so.6 from
the /usr/Softimage/Softimage_2011/Application/bin
~/temp_xsi

then I did, what I mentioned above (cp /ussr/lib64/libXext.so.6 .) here*

> >      Otherwise it appeared from what you had said that I would need
> > to find a version of libX11 that would include that ?compile flag?
> Not a compile flag. When the libXext was compiled (by autodesk) there was a libX11.so around which contained such symbol. Your system now tries to find that symbol, but can't and therefore the process cannot be executed.

Oh I see, it had what it need where it new it needed it.  Now neither
case is true, or, I don't know..

> > had used that option to compile.  That didn't seem like I could  follow
> > that through.
>
> There may be more recent packages provided by OpenSuSE where libX11 already has that symbol, but i don't know that.

Thats one of the paths I had followed looking at something like;

https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file?file=libXext.spec&package=libXext&project=openSUSE%3A12.2&rev=14945e6c6db1aa638783399857fb50b8

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=libXext&project=openSUSE
%3A12.2

unfortunately I don't quite know.

> > export
> > LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/Softimage/Softimage_2011/Application/bin:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
>
> Since sofimage already invoked libXext from that location, this (or an equal) step must have been present when you encountered the error message you initially posted here.

Not sure if I get it, but there is a program which ships with softimage
called cmdreg

I have seen mentioned a command like

cmdreg -f XSICOMDLLs.lst

and also to set the environment one is to 'source'
the /usr/Softimage/Sofimage_2011/.xsi_2011 file (in tcsh)

Thanks for all the help and clarification,

-e