built Xephyr from source but it complains about missing XKB, and other things.

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Fri Jan 24 19:42:55 PST 2014

On 01/24/14 06:38 PM, ... wrote:
> I'm trying to use Xephyr to make a multiseat setup.  To do this, I need evdev
> support and hardware acceleration for graphics.  I've read that I have to
> compile Xephyer from source to do that.  I have looked at several examples like
> this: http://www.amxl.com/c/single-graphics-card-multi-seat-ubuntu-linux
>
> I downloaded the source from http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/src/xserver/
>
> I ran
>
> ./configure --enable-kdrive --enable-xephyr --enable-xfake --enable-xfbdev
> --enable-kdrive-kbd --enable-kdrive-mouse --enable-kdrive-evdev --enable-glx-tls
>
> make
>
> sudo make install
>
> No errors so far.  I now have two versions of X and Xephyr.  From the repos in
> /usr/bin/, and from this build in /usr/local/bin/
>
> The version I built breaks:
>
> $Xephyr :2
> XKB: Failed to compile keymap
> Keyboard initialization failed. This could be a missing or incorrect setup of
> xkeyboard-config.

The xserver needs to be able to find the xkbcomp program & xkeyboard-config
data.   Since you left the --prefix at the default of /usr/local, it's looking
under /usr/local for these and not finding the copies installed by your distro
packages.

If you don't want to build & install copies of those in /usr/local, you should
be able to override these paths with these configure flags:

   --with-xkb-bin-directory=DIR
                    Directory containing xkbcomp program (default: ${bindir})
   --with-xkb-path=PATH    Path to XKB base dir (default: ${datadir}/X11/xkb)

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com