Dual screen issues with Radeon X1250 on HP t5730

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 08:29:49 PST 2015

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 5:16 AM, Jeffrey Langerak <jeffrey at langerak.it> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Does disabling ColorTiling2D or ColorTiling work around the problem? If
>> not, please provide the corresponding Xorg log file.
>
> Disabling the "ColorTiling" option seemed to fix the issue, according to the
> "radeon" manpage this should default to off for this chipset (RS690), but X
> will default it to on. Forcing it to "off" was sufficient and dual screen is
> now working! ColorTiling2D is a safe option for this chip and may be set to
> on.

You may have an outdated man page.  ColorTiling2D has no affect on that asic.

> Now that we are discussing this, are there any other options that are useful
> to place in the xorg.conf file to boost the speed of the GPU like
> acceleration enhancements?
>
> One other thing I noticed and is probably because of the VRAM limitation of
> 32MB is that when using the 2 full-HD monitors is that the display sometimes
> shows some interlacing and the monitor connected to the DVI port will loose
> the connection for about a second. Any thougths about that?

Probably underflow to the displays due to memory bandwidth contention
or a problem with the watermark setup on the displays.  Does setting
radeon.disp_priority=2 on the kernel command line in grub help?  I'm
not sure there is enough memory bandwidth to drive two full HD
displays on that asic.

Alex