unset Xft.dpi how?

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 11 18:05:06 PDT 2015

Thomas Lübking composed on 2015-10-11 20:32 (UTC+0200):

> Felix Miata wrote:

>>> Remove (you need to reload the entire database) xrdb -query | grep -v
>>> Xft.dpi | xrdb -load

>>> This reads out the current database, strips every line containing
>>> "Xft.dpi" and loads the result as new database.

>> This looks like should be what I'm after, but putting it above '.
>> /etc/X11/Xsession' in Mint 17.2's /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc effect on
>> cinnamon-session. Using the following ~/.xinitrc d

> Did you check whether those files are invoked at all by cinnamon?

I have no idea how to find out.

> xinitrc is related to xinit which is used by startx, but desktops tend to
> operate on their own stuff (eg. startkde doesn't read ~/.xinitrc at all,
> you would have to explicitly add it to its autostart stuff.

> I know nothing about cinnamon nor Mint, sorry, but if cinnamon-session is
> (typically) a script, you might find its inclusions there (otherwise best
> ask cinnamon developers) You could also start a bare X server, xterm and
> "strace cinnamon-session 2>&1 | grep open" to see what files it opens (iff
> cinnamon-session is an ELF binary!)

I tried this ~/.xinitrc first at a test:

Then I tried:

#!/usr/bin/env bash
#xrdb -query | grep -v Xft.dpi | xrdb -load &
export LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
export LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"
export LANGUAGE="en_US.UTF-8"
export LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
echo "Xft.dpi: 120" | xrdb -override
exec /usr/bin/xterm &
exec openbox
#exec cinnamon-session

That got an xterm open, from which I entered xrdb -query | grep Xft to find
120, then strace cinnamon-session 2>&1 | grep open. Screen went black, then I
was returned to shell prompt from which I ran startx. So next I tried this
~/.xinitrc:

#!/usr/bin/env bash
#xrdb -query | grep -v Xft.dpi | xrdb -load &
export LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
export LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"
export LANGUAGE="en_US.UTF-8"
export LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
echo "Xft.dpi: 120" | xrdb -override
exec /usr/bin/xterm &
#exec openbox
exec strace cinnamon-session 2>&1 | grep open

That got both xterm and cinnamon session going, but left no output anywhere I
could see or find, including not touching .xsession-errors. lsof|wc -l
produces 12363. Whether I should be able to find a clue in lsof output I have
no idea, so maybe it's time to find cinnamon people to ask how it's supposed
to work.

>> xrdb -query | grep -v Xft.dpi | xrdb -load &
>> export LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
>> export LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"
>> export LANGUAGE="en_US.UTF-8"
>> export LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
>> exec cinnamon-session

> I bet that cinnamon-session ultimately re-sets the xrdb (as does KDE on
> starting up)

That would surprise me none.

Again, thank you!

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/