X is consuming ~100 GiB of RAM(!)

Ewen Chan chan.ewen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 15:18:52 UTC 2017

Hi-Angel:

> Have you rebuild initramfs after blacklisting by the way?

So...I did what that thread (and the thread that it points to within that
thread) says to do.

Created blacklist.conf and then put in there:

blacklist mgag200

and then I ran dracut --regenerate-all --force and rebooted (per the
thread-inside-that-thread's instructions).

(like I said, I'm a grossly underqualified sysadmin so I just do what "I am
told" from those sources.)

Here is the output of lsmod:

Module                  Size  Used by
ebtable_filter         12827  0
ebtables               35009  1 ebtable_filter
ip6table_filter        12815  0
ip6_tables             27025  1 ip6table_filter
iptable_filter         12810  0
ip_tables              27239  1 iptable_filter
x_tables               34059  5
ip6table_filter,ip_tables,iptable_filter,ebtables,ip6_tables
af_packet              39847  0
fuse                   95758  3
iscsi_ibft             12862  0
iscsi_boot_sysfs       16051  1 iscsi_ibft
raw                    13091  0
msr                    12865  0
joydev                 17344  0
iTCO_wdt               13480  0
iTCO_vendor_support    13718  1 iTCO_wdt
dm_mod                110780  0
intel_rapl             18783  0
intel_powerclamp       14690  0
coretemp               13435  0
kvm_intel             151399  0
kvm                   496652  1 kvm_intel
crct10dif_pclmul       14307  0
crc32_pclmul           13133  0
crc32c_intel           22094  0
pcspkr                 12718  0
sb_edac                26894  0
edac_core              66438  1 sb_edac
igb                   204492  0
ptp                    18933  1 igb
i2c_i801               22557  0
pps_core               19333  1 ptp
ipmi_si                57482  0
i2c_algo_bit           13413  1 igb
ipmi_msghandler        49676  1 ipmi_si
mei_me                 18355  0
wmi                    19193  0
mei                    86782  1 mei_me
lpc_ich                21093  0
ioatdma                71777  0
mfd_core               13435  1 lpc_ich
shpchp                 32951  0
dca                    15130  2 igb,ioatdma
processor              44678  0
button                 13971  0
hid_generic            12559  0
usbhid                 52573  0
btrfs                1022893  2
xor                    21411  1 btrfs
raid6_pq              101908  1 btrfs
sd_mod                 50160  4
ghash_clmulni_intel    13230  0
aesni_intel            52860  0
isci                  149868  0
aes_x86_64             17131  1 aesni_intel
glue_helper            13990  1 aesni_intel
lrw                    13286  1 aesni_intel
gf128mul               14951  1 lrw
ablk_helper            13597  1 aesni_intel
cryptd                 16263  3 ghash_clmulni_intel,aesni_intel,ablk_helper
ehci_pci               12914  0
libsas                 87336  1 isci
ehci_hcd               79237  1 ehci_pci
ahci                   29929  2
scsi_transport_sas     45130  2 isci,libsas
libahci                36105  1 ahci
usbcore               254961  3 ehci_hcd,ehci_pci,usbhid
libata                244519  3 ahci,libahci,libsas
usb_common             13057  1 usbcore
sg                     40629  0
scsi_mod              244588  6
sg,isci,scsi_transport_sas,libata,libsas,sd_mod
autofs4                42930  2

Out of that list, I don't see mgag200 there, but then again, I also don't
see any module that I recognize as being a "video driver" either.

I hope that helps answer your questions(? 0.o?)

Thanks.

Sincerely,
Ewen