Does X screen saver invoke any hardware detection?

Steve Holmes sdholmes at nlti.co.uk
Tue Aug 18 12:23:30 UTC 2020

Since kernel 5.4.0-40 and xorg-server (pkg: xserver-xorg-core)
2:1.20.8-2ubuntu2.1 I find AMD SOC Radeon LTSP clients boot to a fuzzy
(but readable) LightDM, and if I login, the desktop and everything else
in Xubuntu is blurry/fuzzy and stays that way.

But if I leave LightDM to timeout to a blank screen (the default X
screensaver 10 minutes) then move the mouse, LightDM is now sharp and
logging in to Xfce all remains sharp.

Does X screensaver do any extra or different hardware detection?