AW: Overexposed desktop

Igor Rylov igoryonya at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 13 23:00:11 UTC 2023

   - I did: sudo X -retro :2
   - It launched a GUI with crosshatched background and an "X" shaped cursor.
   - I Switched to available (non-blocked) TTY. Logged in to console. Did: export DESKTOP=:2
   - Launched xterm
   - Switched to GUI. It launched on TTY2. Xterm was already there.
   - I've moved cursor over the terminal and started trying to launch different programs: nemo, firefox, mpv with some movie, Telegram, etc.. The behavior was the same, as if openbox --replace was loaded (as I've described in original message), which means all the programs looked normal (not overexposed), except for some separate programs, like mpv, some pdf/fb2/epub readers, Blender, GoDot <= these programs were still overexposed.

    On Friday, July 14, 2023 at 04:27:22 AM GMT+12, Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith at oracle.com> wrote:

 On 7/13/23 04:31, Igor Rylov wrote:
>  5. I tried: */sudo /*/*X :2*/ and it loaded the graphical black screen with no
>    mouse cursor.

That's the current expected behavior when you run an X server and no clients.
If you want to see a mouse cursor, you could add the -retro flag (X -retro :2),
but normally the mouse cursor shows up when you start a window manager.

>  6. I've waited for over an hour, the screen blanked periodically (as a power
>    management would do), during this time. Moving the mouse would return to the
>    black screen. Doing */Ctrl+C/* didn't exit.
>  7. Swiitched to TTY5 with */Ctrl+Alt+F5/*
>  8. The command was in the blocked status, i.e. waiting for the */sudo X :2/*
>    program to finish with a lot of output
>  9. Did */Ctrl+C/*
> 10. The */sudo X :2/* was stopped: */sudo_Xorg.2.log/* file.

That's all as expected - if you wanted something to appear on the screen you
would need to run some X clients with their $DISPLAY set to :2.

        -Alan Coopersmith-                alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
          Oracle Solaris Engineering - https://blogs.oracle.com/solaris