AW: Overexposed desktop

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Thu Jul 13 16:27:06 UTC 2023

On 7/13/23 04:31, Igor Rylov wrote:
>  5. I tried: */sudo /*/*X :2*/ and it loaded the graphical black screen with no
>     mouse cursor.

That's the current expected behavior when you run an X server and no clients.
If you want to see a mouse cursor, you could add the -retro flag (X -retro :2),
but normally the mouse cursor shows up when you start a window manager.

>  6. I've waited for over an hour, the screen blanked periodically (as a power
>     management would do), during this time. Moving the mouse would return to the
>     black screen. Doing */Ctrl+C/* didn't exit.
>  7. Swiitched to TTY5 with */Ctrl+Alt+F5/*
>  8. The command was in the blocked status, i.e. waiting for the */sudo X :2/*
>     program to finish with a lot of output
>  9. Did */Ctrl+C/*
> 10. The */sudo X :2/* was stopped: */sudo_Xorg.2.log/* file.

That's all as expected - if you wanted something to appear on the screen you
would need to run some X clients with their $DISPLAY set to :2.

         -Alan Coopersmith-                 alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
          Oracle Solaris Engineering - https://blogs.oracle.com/solaris