Anyone do anything to the keyboard driver recently? (last 6 mos)

Vladimir Dergachev volodya at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 9 18:14:55 UTC 2024

On Tue, 9 Jul 2024, Alan Grimes wrote:

> I'm using Gentoo linux and I'm getting the strangest symptom. The edit keys
> on my keyboard, (most of the arrow keys and the home/delete/end etc block)
> just don't respond in xwindows. They work fine in linux console mode.. I am
> absolutely baffled by this symptom. It should not be possible...  It's a
> standard USB keyboard, I am not aware of anything that would differentiate it
> from any other model on the market.. Partial workaround is to use the keypad
> in edit mode which is how I made this e-mail. =\

Hi Alan,

    My go to tool in such situations is to fire up "xev" and check which
keysyms and modifiers show up when you press those buttons. Make sure your
mouse is inside xev window.

    The obvious list of possibilities is some modifier being pressed (like
Alt), wrong keymap, funky keyboard and some other program stealing the
keysyms.

best

Vladimir Dergachev